We are conducting a search for an experienced hands-on Houseman on behalf of an established household in eastern Massachusetts.
This is a wonderful opportunity for a successful domestic professional with a keen eye for detail and who enjoys all that is involved in running a household in a pleasant environment as well as the hands-on tasks associated with doing so. Please read the entire ad carefully and respond only if appropriate.
The Houseman will play a key role in the life of the household and be responsible for ensuring the principal’s home life runs smoothly, efficiently, discretely and calmly. Duties include housekeeping, laundry, shopping, occasional light cooking and coordinating efforts with part time housekeepers and outside vendors.
Verifiable, relevant work history that includes the following is required:
• Impeccable, fastidious housekeeping
• Hands-on housekeeping
• Outstanding organization and efficiency
• Ability to anticipate the household’s needs and act independently to meet them
• Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
• Knowledge of household systems, smart home technology, electronics and mechanical equipment
• Knowledge of the proper care and procedures of surfaces and finishes including wood, fabrics, china, crystal, stone. etc.
• Supervision of part time housekeeping staff
• Supervision of outside vendors such as chefs, gardeners and pool staff
• Live-in experience preferred but will consider candidates who have not held a live-in position if they meet other key criteria
• Graceful, calm demeanor, even when under pressure
• Responsible management of household budget and purchases
Specific duties vary and will include, but are not limited to:
• General housekeeping (running the vacuum, making up bedrooms and baths, dusting, tidying, laundry, etc.)
• Housekeeping projects and room detailing
• Scheduling maintenance such as window and gutter cleaning, pool service, etc.
• Occasional light cooking consistent with ability
• Automobile care (cleaning, fueling, service visits)
• Light grounds upkeep, (walking grounds/noticing issues/sweeping) between weekly professional maintenance
• Entertaining guests and providing hospitality
• Serving at dinner and cocktail parties
• Dog care
• A fair amount of driving in pursuit of fulfilling duties
The estate consists of a 6,000 square foot main residence and substantial other properties that sometimes require the Houseman’s attention and supervision.
The workday is normally 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on call, with personal time permitted during the day. A gay male is preferred for this position. A private personal suite is provided in the main house. Ideally, the candidate will have quiet, home-based hobbies and interests.
This position offers a professional and detailed contract: Typically two days off per week, a generous health insurance allowance, paid time off, retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and local use of a vehicle. Compensation offered $60,000-$80,000 plus room and board will be commensurate with experience.
• Resume detailing directly relevant work experience
• Verifiable references from previous employers (essential)
• Computer literacy (email, Office, web research, calendar, smart phone), preferably in a Mac environment.
• Clean driving record
• Clean credit history
• Non smoker
• No pets